The return to work

For the last two weeks I've been enjoying a sweet surprise of motherhood: going back to work has been great! I had feared the return to work, even dreaded it, and am thrilled to report that it has actually been fantastic. I think there are a number of factors at play:

1. I love my job. It is easy to return to work that is fulfilling.
2. Until the end of the year, I am working from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Every day I go into the office feels like a Friday and when I'm home, I get to take Riley hug and kiss breaks throughout the day.
3. Because Andy is staying home with Riley for three months, he is willing to get up when Riley awakes during the night. Usually that's only once or twice but last night Andy had to trudge out of bed nearly every hour. He didn't complain once and let me get a good night's sleep.

So I'm pretty lucky. When I'm at work, I'm happy. When I get to see Riley, I enjoy it twice as much. It feels like the best of both worlds.

Not that Riley immediately agreed. Here's a picture of him on my second day back in the office:


At this point Andy had been attempting to give him a bottle for about 40 minutes. This boy who has been exclusively breastfed was not having it. Eventually he conceded to eat and it has gotten better each day since. Now the pictures Andy texts me while I'm at work look more like this:


Everybody's happy!

Comments