Waving and pointing
Long ago Riley would say "ma-ma" to indicate he wanted his pacifier. Mysteriously, he dropped "ma-ma" a few months later. Around 11 months he started saying "uh-oh" to indicate that something had dropped on the ground. For months he's been using the term "da-da" but it seemed somewhat indiscriminate until lately. Now, when dad walks in the room, he clearly says "da-da." When Andy was away for four days, he stopped saying it and immediately resumed when his pops came home. He's also started saying "dah" which we think might mean "yes." [Perhaps his cousin Rene taught him some Russian?]
Other than that, we don't have a whole lot of words. Not very impressive for a 13-month-old.
To stimulate Riley's language, I decided to start using sign language. Last night I read a book about baby sign and was dismayed that it said babies who are ready to learn sign language will be waving bye-bye and pointing to objects. I was so deflated -- he doesn't do either of those.
And then -- hallelujah -- the boy seemed to read my mind. Today, for the first time, I saw him wave bye-bye to his child care provider. And when I brought him home, he pointed for the very first time! What inspired the pointing, you ask? Meet Julio:
As of last night, to Andy's (and Riley's) great delight, Julio now resides on our mantle. Riley discovered him this evening and went nuts. Wide-eyed, he stared and pointed at Julio. He'd eat a little and then stop to point at Julio again. He couldn't take his eyes off of him. He was mesmerized and probably pointed at him a dozen times.
So it appears that Riley and his mom are ready to incorporate sign language at exactly the same time. First sign? Ram.
Julio is so worth a point. Nice work, Ri!
ReplyDeleteMy mom keeps telling me I spoke in full sentences at 18 months. Consequently, I have been fretting about language skills in T. Little Lil is impressive with her words, too, and I continued to fret with T. But then the words come.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had started baby sign with T sooner (and I hadn't heard about waving and pointing being a sign of anything, interesting).
But anyway, my point is I don't think Ri or T are behind. I'm confident that soon enough we'll be hoping they shut up. ;)